Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Solo Role-playing: The Lost City of Barakus Part 1 (Labyrinth Lord)

I had some downtime so I figured I would try to do some solo role-playing for the first time.  I'm used a variety of random tables, Labyrinth Lord, and The Lost City of Barakus as the adventure.


I'm surprised how much fun it was.  It reminded me of playing PC and NES games like The Bard's Tale and Wizardry. It's sure was better than just staring at a wall. Haha.

I added in a dose of common sense and I tried to flip back and forth from a player's POV and that of a GM.

I've never played or ran The Lost City of Barakus before and this seemed like a cool way to try out and learn the adventure before I run it for my friends or at a convention.

I also had to get over that internal self criticism about solo play.  It just sounded so lonely when I first heard about it.  For people like me though that work all the time it will help to pass the slow hours in an interesting way.

The characters had to fight their way into the city (killing 2 guards) and the Elf ended up doing some research at the magic academy.  The rest of the party got a room at an inn and got their first adventure hook (finding a lost husband in the dungeon).

There were some random encounters too pike thugs and helping a wounded man who gave the Dwarf Cleric a magic gem as a reward (it acts like an Identify spell).

So in closing, if you've never given it a try pull out some random tables and make up some characters and charge into a published adventure or randomly generate one on the fly.

6 comments:

  1. A little while ago I ran myself thru the starter adventure in basic, the haunted tower. Honestly it was a ton of fun. I'll send you the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://3toadstools.blogspot.com/2018/02/solo-play-basic-d-haunted-keep.html spoiler... Died lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on my third session now though I should be getting some sleep. I never thought I'd say this but it's fun keeping track of everything, and figuring out how I'm going to keep improving my solitaire methods. Random. Tables. Rule. Hehe.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete